In 2016 we were teased about a JRPG from Evolution Inc that would be coming exclusively to Xbox One. Now here we are in 2018, and we have some great new info thanks to a live stream from the developers about the game Yomi Wo Saku Hana. In this stream, they speak about the goals of the games and an in-depth look at some of the art and story behind this mysterious game. Here is a summary courtesy of Gematsu breaking down all the information that was covered in the over an hour and a half live stream.
- Yomi wo Saku Hana is a dungeon RPG set in a fictional version of Tokyo sometime between 1970 and 1989. It is described as a contemporary dark fantasy set in a world with a theme of corruption.
- There are people who work in a huge dungeon that appeared in Musashino, Tokyo called “The Labyrinth Structure.” If you played Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, Generation Xth, or Cross Blood Labyrinth, this should be easy to imagine.
- The country wants to hide the fact that there is a huge labyrinth inhabited by monsters. To that end, the government threatens and even falsifies peoples memories…
- There is a reason The Labyrinth Structure made a leap to the contemporary when compared to titles like Demon Gaze and Stranger of Sword City. But passing through the converter to get to the dungeon makes things weird. While one should be transported into the dungeon as they usually appear, one for some reason undergoes a change (almost like a glitch), becoming an incomplete state where something is missing.
- People of all ages, occupation, and gender will join the adventure, from elementary school students to the elderly.
- Tests of talent are being conducted behind the scenes at public institutions such as schools and hospitals to discover various talented personnel.
- The company that the main characters belong to is EXP, a company on the verge of bankruptcy looking to make a turnaround.
- Since EXP is a small company that does not have the best personnel at its disposal, you must recruit personnel through special means, such as obtaining information from the country’s higher-ups through speculation and bribes, and interviewing without the country’s knowledge to steal the best personnel from other organizations.
- Here is a first look at the monsters. For the same reason as The Labyrinth Structure, the monsters are changed from the original forms you would expect.
- Although types and abilities were correctly converted, their body textures differ due to a bug. Scavengers by nature must be downloaded as an insect with an exoskeleton design, but for some reason take on the form of an amphibian or reptile. This includes Treants made up of something other than wood, skeletons with the skin of an insect, mermen that look like a sea lion or walrus, wyverns with exoskeletons and insect wings, etc.
- Here is a labyrinth concept design. This dark dungeon was designed to make one feel a sense of torment or fear.
- While basic design ideas are being proposed, they have yet reached the modeling stage. However, since modeling methods have changed, Experience’s techniques and the ability to create a sense of depth are said to be better than ever before.
- “Hana,” or “flower,” is a keyword and will be incorporated into the game in various ways.
- Currently, the dungeon designs are halfway complete.
- Hajime Chikami: “It is planned as an Xbox One exclusive, but if it doesn’t sell much, we might ask Sony and Nintendo to put it out. We’ll put it out somewhere even if we’re about to die. Development on PC is difficult at the current stage.”
- Hajime Chikami: “While I don’t know about the possibility of releasing the game on platforms other than Xbox One at the moment, we will release another title with the same systems since we were originally making a separate title with the same world at the same time with the PlayStation 4 in mind as a possible platform.”
- He also talked about a “new dungeon RPG project” and “another thing that’s somewhat unanimous; this project makes people think it is being done by the NG team.”
This truly is a game that is shaping up to be one of the most unique titles to join the Xbox One’s library especially as an exclusive. We will be keeping an eye out for more information on this game as it becomes available.
Are you excited for Yomi Wo Saku Hana? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to check back for the latest gaming news and information.